Revealed August 9, 2021
For probably the most half, cats are fairly low-key pets. However if you happen to’re a first-time cat dad or mum, or have solely had informal out of doors cats, you could be beneath the improper impression about how usually to take cats to the vet. So, how usually do you’re taking a cat to the vet? Maintain studying to study extra about frequency pointers relying in your cat’s life stage, frequent causes to take your cat to the vet, and the way to put together your cat for his or her go to.
Do Cats Want Annual Checkups?
A superb rule of thumb is to take your cat to the vet yearly for a checkup. However relying in your cat’s life stage, annual vet checkups is probably not needed. In case your cat is indoor-only and between the ages of 2-8, you could possibly take your cat for a checkup each different yr. Speak to your vet first!
Visiting your veterinarian is so essential, particularly as your cat ages. That’s as a result of your veterinarian needs to do a whole bodily examination. We wish to choose up on some frequent causes of weight reduction, elevated vomiting, larger urine clumps, and elevated thirst in your cat; these are all indicators of frequent ailments in older cats reminiscent of diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, and power kidney failure.
– Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, DACVECC, DABT
Let’s break down what is often really useful for vet visits, relying in your cat’s life stage.
The primary few months of a kitten’s life can be crammed with vet visits. That’s as a result of kittens usually must be dewormed, examined, vaccinated, and spayed or neutered all earlier than six months of age.
- At 6-8 weeks outdated, kittens ought to obtain their first set of vaccinations, be examined for FIV/FeLV, and get dewormed (relying on stool pattern outcomes).
- At 9-12 weeks, kittens ought to obtain their subsequent set of vaccinations. This may occasionally embody a rabies vaccination, or your vet might wait till 16 weeks to provide that shot.
- Though cats may be spayed or neutered at any age, kittens ought to be mounted earlier than 5 months of age to forestall early being pregnant. Many vets will spay or neuter as early as two months outdated.
Wholesome grownup cats ought to be seen by the vet yearly. (Indoor-only cats between ages 2-8 could possibly get away with seeing the vet each different yr—however discuss to your veterinarian first.)
- Your cat will obtain vaccine boosters each 1-3 years.
- Your vet might suggest doing lab work (reminiscent of blood work) yearly after 5 years of age.
- In case your grownup cat has a power medical situation reminiscent of diabetes or kidney illness, you could want to go to the vet greater than yearly.
Previous 10 years of age, your veterinarian might suggest bringing in your senior cat twice a yr for a checkup.
- Common well being screenings are crucial at this stage. It’s possible you’ll discover that your senior kitty has decreased vitality or mobility, however don’t assume that is utterly regular. Your cat might have undiagnosed arthritis or extra. It’s finest to have your vet test it out.
- Your vet will even wish to do once- or twice-yearly lab work to examine your cat’s kidney and liver operate, blood rely, urinary well being, and extra.
- Preserving your cat present on their rabies vaccine booster is required by regulation, even for senior cats.
Frequent Causes Why Cats Have to Go to the Vet
Now that we’ve lined the query how usually do you’re taking a cat to the vet, let’s check out a few of the most typical causes to go to the vet.
Wellness checks are a part of your cat’s annual vet checkup, and will embody issues like vaccine boosters, bodily exams, flea/tick therapy, and extra. Nonetheless, don’t hesitate to schedule a wellness examine greater than yearly if you happen to discover your cat performing out of the abnormal or displaying signs that one thing could be amiss.
Litter Field Issues
One of the frequent causes to take your cat to the vet outdoors of wellness checks is that if they’re experiencing litter field issues. Whether or not your cat is urinating outdoors of the litter field, making a number of journeys to the litter field with out utilizing it, experiencing constipation, or extra—get to your vet, stat!
Get a little bit assist monitoring your cat’s litter field habits with the WiFi-enabled, self-cleaning Litter-Robotic 3 Join! The app permits you to view how usually your cat goes contained in the litter field and examine with current utilization stats.
Vomiting or Diarrhea
Most pet mother and father don’t understand that cat vomiting isn’t regular. In case your cat is vomiting greater than 1-2x/month, it’s price speaking to your veterinarian to verify it isn’t on account of a medical drawback. The identical goes for diarrhea: If (slowly) transitioning your cat to a brand new sort of cat meals doesn’t assist with diarrhea, it’s time to see your vet.
Weight Loss or Not Consuming
In the event you lose a pound right here and there, it’s no huge deal. But when your cat loses a pound, it’s time to get the vet. Your cat shedding pounds might stem from many causes, a few of that are simply treatable. Others, much less so. Get to your vet immediately, as a result of the earlier identified, the earlier handled! Equally, if you happen to discover your cat not consuming for a pair days, attempt to get to your vet ASAP. That’s as a result of cats can solely go just a few days with out consuming earlier than they will develop fatty modifications to their liver. That is referred to as hepatic lipidosis, which may be life-threatening if not handled.
Sadly, weight problems is frequent amongst home cats. In the event you can’t simply really feel your cat’s ribs, view a transparent waistline from above, or see a visual tummy tuck from the facet, your cat could also be chubby or overweight. Weight problems predisposes cats to so many medical issues: overweight cats are 4.5x extra more likely to develop diabetes, 7x extra more likely to develop musculoskeletal issues, and 2x as more likely to die at a youthful age. Your vet can provide recommendation on getting your cat again on monitor to a wholesome weight.
Elevated Ingesting / Extreme Thirst
In the event you discover your cat hanging across the water bowl, ingesting excessively whereas nonetheless showing dehydrated, or leaving large clumps of urine within the litter field, you’ll wish to make a go to to the vet. These might be indicators pointing towards kidney illness, hyperthyroidism, and extra.
Modifications in Mobility or Decreased Exercise
As we talked about earlier, senior cats usually have undiagnosed osteoarthritis. Even your grownup (non-senior) cat could also be coping with this subject. Maintain a watch out for modifications in mobility, altered gait, being slower to leap, performing stiff, and decreased exercise usually. In the event you discover these indicators in your cat, contact your veterinarian.
Generally it’s not solely bodily signs that warrant a checkup. In case your cat instantly appears extra aggressive or fearful, or is performing out ultimately, it’s time to get your vet’s recommendation. This might be associated to a brand new member of the family at dwelling (four-legged or two-legged), an underlying medical situation, and extra.
Why Does My Cat Not Just like the Vet?
Most cats discover vet visits nerve-racking—if not downright traumatizing. Between the automotive experience of their provider, the publicity to unusual barking canine and crying cats, and being poked and prodded by the veterinarian, are you able to blame them?
Resident veterinarian Dr. Justine Lee gives just a few recommendations on the way to put together your cat for his or her vet go to:
- Acclimate them to their provider by setting it out per week or two earlier than the vet go to. Sprinkle some catnip and treats within the provider as soon as a day to entice your cat to enter on their very own accord.
- Assist decrease their stress by giving them, properly, medication! Dr. Lee loves the pure cat-calming pheromone product referred to as Feliway; or, discuss to your vet about prescribing a protected treatment referred to as gabapentin.
What Is Thought-about a Pet Emergency?
As a result of cats have such stoic natures, they usually don’t present medical indicators of sickness till it’s extreme. And since cats disguise their indicators, even refined indicators (like hiding) warrant an emergency go to to the ER veterinarian.
Dr. Justine Lee offers these common pointers on when you have to search fast veterinary consideration—even when it’s in the midst of the evening.
- Hiding in uncommon locations
- Problem respiration, like panting, open-mouth respiration, or a respiratory price over 50 breaths/minute (trace: rely the variety of breaths in 15 seconds and multiply by 4 to get the overall breaths per minute)
- Not transferring and mendacity in a single spot
- Crying out in ache
- Being acutely paralyzed
- Any trauma
- Any poisoning
- Extreme drooling or foaming on the mouth
- Any seizure exercise
- Making a number of journeys to the litter field with no urine popping out (particularly if there’s no urine in any respect within the litter field for greater than 24-36 hours!)
- Straining to urinate or defecate in entrance of you or in uncommon locations
- Extreme grooming of the hind finish, with the penis protruding (which can be on account of a life-threatening feline urethral obstruction or urinary blockage)
- Profuse vomiting (reminiscent of greater than 6-12 occasions in a 12-24-hour interval)
- Not consuming for a number of days
- Mendacity close to the water bowl and ingesting excessively however nonetheless showing dehydrated
- Any string hanging out of any orifice (please don’t pull – go away this to veterinary professionals)
The Vet Is Your Good friend
So, how usually do you’re taking a cat to the vet? Now you already know that an annual vet go to is an efficient rule of thumb—however there are numerous different causes to see your veterinarian a bit extra usually. Relying in your cat’s life stage, life-style, and well being habits, it’s good to have your vet’s cellphone quantity helpful at any time.
Photograph by Werzk Luuu on Unsplash