Referred to as a favourite by-catch to large recreation anglers, Wahoo are barely neglected in favor of the opposite hard-fighting fish they share their stomping grounds with. Don’t let this idiot you, although. These predatory, sharp-fanged fish are actual powerhouses. They’re capable of develop as much as 8 ft lengthy and are able to scorching runs that may reel off tons of of yards of line inside seconds. Yep, it’s simple to see why Wahoo fishing is fairly legendary in its personal proper!
One other string so as to add to the Wahoo’s bow is that these fish might be present in loads of places. They love heat, temperate waters. This implies they dwell all through the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean and Mediterranean Seas. That makes experiencing the fast-paced thrills these beasts provide up a year-round affair.
They’re additionally a implausible consuming fish, with a smoky, delicate style typically in comparison with Mackerel. In actual fact, the Hawaiian title for Wahoo, “Ono,” actually means “good to eat.” Laborious-fighting motion that leads to critically tasty desk fare? Fairly irresistible. Let’s dive in and discover out extra about this implausible fish, together with a very powerful questions of all – the place and how will you catch your self one?!
High Wahoo Fishing Places
As we talked about, this fish might be present in a powerful number of waters. From the coastlines of Florida to the islands of the Caribbean, there are many places the place you possibly can hook these streamlined speedsters. They inhabit the epipelagic zone of tropical and subtropical waters, which reaches from the highest of the ocean to 650 ft beneath the floor.
Under, we’ve highlighted among the most prolific spots all over the world. These are not at all the one locations you possibly can catch this species, however one factor’s for positive. Go to certainly one of these locales, and also you’ll be in with a reasonably good probability at a Wahoo battle!
Wahoo Fishing within the USA
Boasting entry to the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, in addition to the Gulf of Mexico, it’s no shock that the USA offers ample Wahoo fishing alternatives. Listed below are a few of our favourite hotspots…
- Key West, Florida: On the lookout for sheer numbers in your Wahoo fishing journey? Florida’s southernmost level is the place to go to. Completely positioned on the assembly level of the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, you possibly can goal Wahoo in these deep waters year-round. November by way of February is very bountiful, as that is once they transfer in nearer to the world’s many reefs.
- Miami, Florida: You’ll discover Wahoo all alongside Florida’s Atlantic Coast, particularly the additional south you go. Miami is a very fish-filled location. This bustling cityscape offers direct entry to the Gulf Stream, a deep channel of water that lies a mere 3 miles from shore. These heat waters are a Wahoo haven! Though you’ll discover this species right here year-round, the most effective angling motion often takes place from early spring into late summer time.
- Venice, Louisiana: Identified for its abundance of deep waters and offshore oil rigs, it’s no shock that Venice is a Wahoo fishing hotspot. It offers an oasis of construction that these fish like to flock to! Even higher, they dwell right here year-round, sticking near deep water rigs and construction wherever from 10–30 miles from shore. The most well liked occasions to forged your line, nonetheless, are usually from January by way of March.
- Oahu, Hawaii: Hawaii’s third-largest island can also be essentially the most populated one – and we’re not simply speaking about on land! The waters that encompass it are jam-packed with loads of Wahoo, or “Ono” as they’re domestically recognized. Though they’re right here year-round, the angling motion actually heats up between March and September.
Wahoo Fishing in Mexico
With the Gulf of Mexico to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west, Mexico is surrounded by Wahoo-filled waters. The climate is gorgeous, there’s angling motion aplenty, and in case you select the best location, you can be battling Wahoo only a few miles from shore. What’s to not love?
- Cabo San Lucas: Positioned on the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula, Cabo boasts entry to the Pacific’s deep waters only a stone’s throw from shore. You possibly can hop on a ship for a couple of hours and simply attain the Wahoo hotspots! These species are particularly plentiful in the course of the summer time and fall months. You possibly can catch some rays in addition to (hopefully!) some fairly large fish.
- Cancún: Cancún is completely positioned on the assembly level of the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. The magic of fishing right here is you can forged a line for giant recreation species as quickly as you depart from the dock. The waters attain Wahoo-friendly depths nearly instantly! March by way of June are the height seasons for these fish.
Wahoo Fishing across the Caribbean Islands
With extra water than land, it’s simple to see why this area is a sport fishing mecca. The Caribbean Archipelago is made up of over 7,000 islands, however don’t let that overwhelm you. There are a couple of locations that stand out with regards to wonderful Wahoo fishing motion…
- Bahamas: Surrounded by deep, reef-packed waters, the Bahamas attracts large numbers of Wahoo. November by way of March sees large migrations of fish, making these months the prime time to focus on them. Nassau is an particularly in style departure level, due to numerous charters on provide. Bimini, within the “West Finish,” is in style with Floridian anglers, because it’s inside a 50-mile radius of Miami.
- Barbados: In addition to being a picture-perfect trip vacation spot, Barbados additionally boasts Wahoo-worthy deep waters inside swimming distance from shore. This implies you possibly can fish for a few hours and nonetheless expertise some wonderful large recreation angling motion! And in case you’re in search of one thing a bit extra distinctive, you possibly can even decide to spearfish in your Wahoo – it’s one thing of an area custom.
- Aruba: Positioned off the coast of Venezuela, this tiny island holds gigantic Wahoo fishing alternatives. The waters right here get critically deep as shut to 2 miles from shore, that means you can begin trolling in your goal nearly instantly. Though fishing is superb year-round, plan your go to between March–September for optimum outcomes.
- Roatan: Certainly one of Honduras’ Bay Islands, Roatan is the sort of place that most individuals don’t even know exists – except they’re into wonderful sport fishing motion, after all! The waters round this tiny island attain depths of 1,000 ft simply 5 miles from shore, that means a bluewater battle is within the playing cards. Even higher, Wahoo inhabit these waters in massive numbers year-round.
Wahoo Fishing in Australia
Final on our checklist with regards to high Wahoo fishing spots is the Land Down Below. It’s a little bit of a departure from our different places, however this nation is surrounded by the nice and cozy waters of the Southern, Indian, and Pacific Oceans. There’s additionally the Nice Barrier Reef, in addition to loads of different underwater construction. Mixed, these make for the right Wahoo habitat.
- Queensland: Australia’s very personal “Sunshine State” has extra in frequent with Florida than only a nickname. It’s additionally a superb sport fishing vacation spot. It offers entry to the Coral Sea, one of many Pacific Ocean’s marginal seas, and huge numbers of Wahoo flock right here, particularly across the southeastern a part of the state. Cairns and Gold Coast are in style departure factors, particularly between December–April.
- Western Australia: Offering entry to the deep blue waters of the Indian Ocean, Western Australia boasts loads of Wahoo fishing alternatives. This state is the most important in Australia, so to slim it down barely, focus your consideration across the Rowley Shoals, positioned off the northwestern coast. Cities similar to Exmouth, on the North West Cape, present ample Wahoo motion, too.
The best way to Fish For Wahoo
These fish are solitary creatures that choose to both journey alone or swim in tiny faculties of two–3 fish. Due to this, an enormous a part of the joy with regards to Wahoo fishing is finding your goal. When you’ve bought your fish in your sights, there’s an entire number of methods to reel ’em in.
One factor goes with out saying, although – you’ll want a ship! Fortunately, you’ll discover a complete host of Wahoo fishing charters irrespective of the place you select to fish. Now, on to our favourite strategies…
There’s one approach that stands head and shoulders above the remainder with regards to Wahoo fishing. We’re speaking about trolling, after all! These fish are recognized and liked for his or her immense pace, and this system means that you can go head-to-head with them. It’s additionally fairly common, so that you’ll be capable to implement it irrespective of the place you’re fishing.
There’s a wide range of lures and baits on the market that may have Wahoo biting. Relating to dwell bait, you should use something from mackerel, to ballyhoo, to mullet, both minimize, stripped, or chunked. In case you’re extra in favor of lures, there are many selections. You’ll principally wish to implement something that may troll rapidly and is brightly coloured, similar to plugs or particular high-speed Wahoo-trolling artificials.
The set-up is what actually counts right here. Seize your self a six-lure unfold, which lets you set your lures at particular distances and canopy extra floor on the identical time. Native anglers advocate setting your lures wherever from 150–350 ft out on the port aspect and 350–450 ft out on the starboard aspect of your vessel, with various distances dotted in between these limits. Relating to deal with, a regular 100 lb braided line will do the job.
You’ll usually wish to cruise your chosen fishery at a minimal of 10 knots, with the best pace being 15 knots, to be able to match their quick runs. As Wahoo lurk beneath the floor of the water, pace isn’t all that issues. You’ll additionally wish to stagger the depths of your lures. We’d advocate utilizing downriggers to achieve depths of round 20–30 ft for a pair of your strains, and place the remainder at 5–15 ft down utilizing heavy jet-heads or weights.
It’s not all about trolling, although. In case you’re trying to actually plumb the depths of the waters that Wahoo lurk in, you can too jig for these fish. Vertical jigging is a way that’s changing into increasingly in style with deep sea fishermen, particularly these trying to save on gasoline prices. It’s additionally generally utilized in places that boast numerous underwater construction, similar to round Louisiana’s oil rigs.
One factor to find out about vertical jigging for giant recreation species, similar to Wahoo, is that it may be fairly a exercise! It’s regular to come back house with sore arms, and is unquestionably an train in endurance and endurance. However hey, doesn’t that simply make hooking an enormous ‘Hoo on this approach even sweeter?
Step one to a profitable day of jigging for Wahoo is selecting the correct location. You’ll wish to focus your consideration round underwater construction in waters no less than 200 ft deep. Oil rigs and the cabinets alongside the Gulf of Mexico’s continental shelf are particularly suited to any such fishing.
Then, you’ll wish to pair a high-speed fishing reel able to no less than 40 inches per “crank” with a 7–8′ stiff motion jigging rod and any metallic jig. From there, implement a “rod up, deal with down” sample, and look ahead to the hit of your Wahoo!
Wahoo Fishing: An Unforgettable, Quick-Paced Battle!
Keep in mind we talked about how large recreation anglers wish to name these fish their favourite by-catch? That’s not all. Additionally they wish to say that this species’ title comes from the exclamation made when one is hooked: “Wahoo!” We couldn’t agree extra. It’s time for the highlight to be shone on going head-to-head with this fish. The consequence? An thrilling, fast-paced journey that you just received’t quickly overlook. Come uncover the thrills of Wahoo fishing for your self!
Have you ever ever been Wahoo fishing? The place did you go? Any suggestions or tips to share with us? Tell us within the feedback beneath. We love listening to from you!