We affiliate many various issues with the “Palmetto State” – Southern hospitality, historic districts, shrimp and grits, candy tea, and a few of the finest golf programs you will discover. For passionate anglers, nevertheless, the very first thing that involves thoughts is great fishing. And so they’re proper! Earlier than you hit the water although, you want a South Carolina fishing license.
In case you’re fishing in SC for the primary time and also you’re unsure the place to begin, you’re in the proper place. Learn on for extra data on the kind of license you want, residency necessities, and different helpful tidbits. Keep within the loop with present fishing guidelines and rules and revel in South Carolina’s freshwater and saltwater fisheries stress-free.
Who wants a fishing license in South Carolina?
The overall rule is that each one who’s 16 and older must have a legitimate fishing license with them whereas fishing within the state. The kind of license you want depends upon whether or not you’re an SC resident or not and the place you need to go fishing.
In case you’re unsure whether or not you want a freshwater or a saltwater license, there’s a rule that may allow you to out. Freeway 17 is taken into account the official dividing line between freshwater and saltwater fisheries. All the things west of the freeway (landward) is taken into account freshwater, whereas the coastal waters to the east (seaward) are saltwater.
Who can fish with no license in South Carolina?
Whereas most individuals want permits, there are some teams that may fish without spending a dime in South Carolina. Free fishing is out there to:
- Anglers fishing with a constitution boat (the worth of your license is included within the journey’s value)
- Anybody who owns a personal pond or anybody who’s been given permission by the proprietor to fish their pond
- Completely disabled veterans can get a free fishing and looking license
- South Carolina residents who’re on lively obligation (however on go away in SC) and navy personnel can fish and hunt with no license
- Kids below the age of 16 don’t want a license
- Days when fishing is free for everybody: Could thirty first and July 4th
Data for Residents
To be certified for a resident fishing license in South Carolina, you should be a everlasting resident of the state for a minimum of 30 days. You’ll current your proof of residency – a state-issued legitimate Driver’s License or Identification Card – when making use of to your fishing license. It is best to carry that very same identification doc with you whereas fishing.
You’ll additionally have to disclose your Social Safety Quantity. That is to just remember to’re compliant with DSS rules. Foreigners completely staying in South Carolina ought to present their passport together with their SC ID and their Alien Identification Quantity.
Residents are additionally:
- Navy personnel or their dependent household stationed in South Carolina for 30 days or longer (a legitimate navy ID vital);
- Navy personnel with everlasting residency in SC, however at present stationed elsewhere (legitimate navy ID vital);
- Full-time college students enrolled in a college in South Carolina (a legitimate pupil ID vital)
Prices for Residents
Relying on how lengthy and the place you’d prefer to fish, there are completely different fishing licenses accessible. Resolve whether or not you need to fish for, decide a physique of water, and purchase the suitable license. Solely residents who’re 64 and older can apply for a Lifetime Fishing/Searching License. Right here’s how a lot completely different resident fishing licenses can value.
|Resident License Sort||Value|
|14-Day Freshwater Fishing License||$5.00|
|1-Yr Freshwater Fishing License||$10.00|
|3-Yr Freshwater Fishing License||$30.00|
|14-Day Saltwater Fishing License||$5.00|
|1-Yr Saltwater Fishing License||$10.00|
|3-Yr Saltwater Fishing License||$30.00|
|1-Yr Freshwater Fishing & Searching Mixture License||$25.00|
|3-Yr Freshwater Fishing & Searching Mixture License||$75.00|
|Lifetime Fishing & Searching License (just for residents who’re 64 and older)||$9.00|
|Junior Sportsman License||$16.00|
|1-Yr Sportsman License||$50.00|
|3-Yr Sportsman License||$150.00|
There’s a wide range of fishing/looking permits you should purchase if you wish to kill two birds with one stone. If you realize a 16-year previous who would like to get a combo allow, you should purchase them a Junior Sportsman License. Common Sportsman Licenses help you fish and hunt in Wildlife Administration Areas as properly.
Data for Non-Residents
In case you’re a non-resident who’d prefer to discover South Carolina’s fishing alternatives, you’ll be able to definitely achieve this. The identical licensing guidelines for residents apply to non-resident – all individuals age 16 and older are required to have a legitimate fishing license. The primary distinction is that non-residents aren’t eligible for lifetime licenses. Additionally, fishing and looking licenses must be purchased individually.
Prices for Non-Residents
The price for non-resident fishing licenses depends upon the place and the way lengthy you’d prefer to fish for, identical to with residents.
|Non-Resident License Sort||Value|
|14-Day Freshwater Fishing License||$11.00|
|1-Yr Freshwater Fishing License||$35.00|
|3-Yr Freshwater Fishing License||$105.00|
|14-Day Saltwater Fishing License||$11.00|
|1-Yr Saltwater Fishing License||$35.00|
|3-Yr Saltwater Fishing License||$105.00|
To make use of particular fishing tools for non-game freshwater fish, you’ll want further tags alongside along with your fishing license. Keep in mind that the usage of gear like eelpots, jugs, and trotlines could also be restricted to sure days of the week or occasions of the 12 months. It’s vital to acquire all the mandatory permits and familiarize your self with the associated rules.
|Non-Recreation Freshwater Fishing Permits & Tags||Value for Residents||Value for Non-Residents|
|Annual Jug Allow||$5.00||$50.00|
|Annual Set Hook Allow||$5.00||$50.00|
|Annual Eel Pot Tag||$5.00||$50.00|
|Annual Gill Internet Tag (aside from Herring and Shad)||$5.00||$50.00|
|Annual Hoop Internet Tag||$10.00||$50.00|
|Annual Lure Tag||$5.00||$50.00|
|Annual Trotline Tag||$2.50||$50.00|
The place to Purchase Your South Carolina Fishing License
Getting an SC fishing license is fairly easy, and you are able to do it in a number of other ways. You should buy one from the consolation of your individual dwelling or in individual, no matter works finest for you.
- Purchase it on-line: Probably the most handy manner to purchase your South Carolina fishing license is on-line, just by going to the South Carolina Division of Pure Assets web site. After that, all you should do is print out your license and also you’re set.
- Purchase it by telephone: In case you’d moderately have somebody speak you thru the method, name 1-866-714-3611. The skilled on the opposite aspect will allow you to type all of it out.
- Purchase it in individual: There are 500 license distributors in SC that may promote you your license. In case you desire to get your paperwork in individual, simply decide a spot from this record that’s closest to you.
- Lifetime Licenses: Residents who’re 64 and older can apply for a Lifetime License in individual by going to DNR workplaces in a number of areas. Earlier than you go, keep in mind to fill out this type and produce it with you. Alternatively, you’ll be able to ship in your utility by way of the mail, together with a photocopy of your SC ID, to this deal with:
SC Wildlife Endowment Fund
PO Field 11710
Columbia, SC 29211-1710
What occurs if I lose my license?
Dropping a fishing license can occur to anybody, however don’t fear, it’s easy to get a reproduction. All you should do is go to a vendor or to one of many SCDNR workplaces and submit a written assertion confirming you’ve misplaced your license. After that, you’ll pay a $3 payment for a alternative. In case you want a reproduction of your tags, you’ll have to go to the SCDNR workplaces to get it sorted.
Duplicate incapacity and lifelong licenses are supplied without spending a dime – you’ll be able to request one by calling (803) 734-3833. You can even ask for assist by way of electronic mail at [email protected]
We did our greatest to cowl all the knowledge you should purchase a South Carolina fishing license. When you have any further questions, it’s a good suggestion to get in contact with SCDNR operators. Dropping us a remark is an alternative choice. Are you prepared? Then gear up, pack your license, e book a constitution close to you, and let the enjoyable start!