The Commonwealth of Virginia has quite a bit to supply, however hardly something beats a fishing journey right here. All you want is a Virginia fishing license. Inside an hour’s drive from anyplace within the state, you’ll discover many angling alternatives. River fishing, a day on considered one of Virginia’s many lakes, an Atlantic deep sea fishing journey… There’s one thing right here for everybody.
So, you’ve determined to discover a few of the fisheries that the “Mom of States” has to supply. However you haven’t any thought what you’ll want to be sure to’re fishing inside the legislation. Concern not, we’ve bought you lined! On this information, we’ll let you know every thing you’ll want to find out about getting the related fishing licenses.
Who wants a fishing license in Virginia?
The quick reply is: everybody who’s 16 or older. The lengthy reply is, properly, extra difficult. To start with, there’s a distinction in charges between residents and non-residents. Moreover, there are some exceptions the place Virginia residents can fish with out a fishing license. We’ll cowl these within the subsequent part, so there’s no want to fret!
Who can fish license-free?
Let’s first check out who can fish the waters of Virginia with out a license. You don’t have to get one if you’re:
- Landowners or relations of a landowner by yourself lands and inland waters.
- Beneath 16 years previous (you don’t want a Trout license both).
- A resident, active-duty member of the armed forces on official depart. Nonetheless, when Trout fishing you could have a duplicate of your Army Orders on you.
- A tenant fishing on the land you hire and occupy with the written permission of the landowner.
- A visitor fishing in individually-owned personal ponds.
- Legally blind.
- A Native American dwelling on a reservation, or a resident member of a acknowledged tribe fishing in freshwater.
- A stockholder with over 50 % of shares of any home company that owns land in Virginia on land owned by the company.
- Older than 65 fishing in saltwater.
- Not fishing however aiding a disabled license holder.
Planning on constitution fishing?
Are you pondering of doing a little constitution fishing? Nicely, in case you’re casting a line from a licensed head or constitution boat, you don’t want a saltwater fishing license. The boat license covers the captain, the mate, and the passengers on this case.
Info for Residents
The very first thing you’ll want to know is that anybody who’s required to have a fishing license in Virginia should have it on them. You’ll be able to have an digital copy, printed paper, or annual exhausting card. You might want to present it to any officer who requires to see it, in addition to any proprietor, lessee, or consultant of land you’re fishing on.
Who’s thought of a Virginia resident?
You qualify as a resident if you’re:
- A bonafide resident of the state for six consecutive months;
- A everlasting resident of the state for no less than two months;
- A authorized voter in Virginia;
- A member of the US armed forces residing in Virginia on energetic responsibility or stationed within the state;
- A pupil enrolled in a bonafide Virginia faculty;
- An unnaturalized one who owns actual property and has lived in Virginia for no less than 5 years.
Prices for Residents
There are totally different license varieties you possibly can select from in case you’re a Virginia resident. The license you want will rely on what you’re searching for. Whether or not it’s a day of saltwater angling or a lifetime of entry to freshwater fisheries, there’s an choice for everybody. The fee is dependent upon the size and sort of license.
|Resident License Sort||Value|
Contains looking license, bear license, deer/turkey license (legitimate July 1– June 30), archery license, muzzleloader license, freshwater fishing license and Trout license
|County/Metropolis Freshwater Fishing
For county or metropolis of residence solely
|State Freshwater Fishing (1-year)*||$23.00|
|State Freshwater Fishing (2-year)*||$44.00|
|State Freshwater Fishing (3-year)*||$65.00|
|State Freshwater Fishing (4-year)*||$86.00|
|State Recent/Saltwater Fishing*||$39.50|
|Saltwater Fishing License||$17.50|
|South Holston Reservoir Fishing License
Permits fishing in each Tennessee and Virginia waters of South Holston Reservoir
upstream of the dam. A sound resident fishing license can be required.
|5-Day Freshwater Fishing (5 consecutive days)
Not legitimate in designated stocked Trout waters
|5-Day Recent/Saltwater Fishing(5 consecutive days)
Not legitimate in designated stocked Trout waters
|10-Day Saltwater Fishing (10 consecutive days)||$10.00|
|Tidal Boat Sportfishing||$126.00|
|65 and Over Freshwater Fishing (Annual)*||$9.00|
|Trout Fishing (October 1–June 15)
Required along with different resident licenses if fishing in stocked waters.
*A sound Trout license is required along with different resident licenses solely if you’re fishing in designated stocked Trout waters (October 1–June 15)
Info for Non-Residents
Should you’re visiting Virginian waters and searching for one of the best ways to spend your trip, you’ve gotten many choices. Nonetheless, you’ll want a non-resident license in an effort to fish right here – except you’re below the age of 16.
What’s totally different whenever you’re not a resident? Nicely, you gained’t be capable of get a lifetime fishing license. One other perk you’ll be lacking out on is getting a fishing/looking mixture license. So in case you’re planning on doing each, you’ll want to purchase them individually.
Prices for Non-Residents
Relating to non-resident licenses, it’s just about the identical deal as for residents – costs differ relying on the size and sort:
|Non-Resident License Sort||Value|
|Non-Resident State Freshwater Fishing*||$47.00|
|Non-Resident Saltwater Fishing||$25.00|
|Non-Resident State Recent/Saltwater Fishing*||$71.00|
|Non-Resident 1-Day Freshwater Fishing*||$8.00|
|Non-Resident 5-Day Freshwater Fishing* (5 consecutive days)||$21.00|
|Non-Resident 10-Day Saltwater Fishing (10 consecutive days)||$10.00|
|Non-Resident 5-Day Recent/Saltwater Fishing* (5 consecutive days)||$31.00|
|Non-Resident Tidal Boat Sportfishing||$201.00|
|Non-Resident Trout Fishing (October 1–June 15)
Required along with different non-resident licenses if fishing in stocked waters.
*A sound non-resident Trout license ($47.00 annual or $555.00 lifetime) is required along with different non-resident licenses solely if you’re fishing in designated stocked Trout waters (October 1–June 15)
In case you have a particular kind of journey in thoughts, try if it includes any kind of extra charges. For instance, it’s possible you’ll want a particular license for sure areas of the state. Additionally, in case you’re heading out by yourself boat, there’s a particular Tidal Boat License for that! Yow will discover all of them on the GoOutdoorsVirginia web site.
The place to Purchase a Virginia Fishing License
There are other ways of getting a Virginia fishing license, whether or not you’re a resident or a non-resident. You are able to do it on-line, by cellphone, or in individual. Simply use one of many easy methods under and also you’re all set:
- On-line: You may get a Virginia fishing license on-line on the GoOutdoorsVirginia web site. It’s a fast and simple course of – simply create your buyer account and also you’ll see all license varieties that suit your age and residency standing.
- By Cellphone: You may get a license by calling (804) 367-1000 throughout common enterprise hours. Nonetheless, you can even do it through the use of your GoOutdoorsVirginia cell app.
- In-Individual: Should you desire getting your license in individual, you may get it from some clerks of the Circuit Court docket. Additionally, there are a whole lot of license brokers across the state. Yow will discover them on the License Agent Locator.
What occurs if I lose my license?
To not fear! Should you lose your license, you possibly can simply exchange it in a number of steps. Simply head over to the GoOutdoorsVirginia web site, choose “Handle Your Account” and reprint it. It’s that straightforward! One other solution to do it’s by visiting a retail license agent, and you may all the time name the Headquarters workplace at (804) 367-1000.
We’ve tried to cowl all the data you’ll want. Nonetheless, in case you nonetheless have questions on getting your Virginia fishing license, get in contact together with your native DNR workplace. Additionally, be at liberty to drop us a remark under. In any other case, get your license, discover a information close to you, and begin your Virginia fishing journey!