Illinois is named the “Prairie State,” however huge stretches of grasslands aren’t the one sort of pure habitat right here. There are many freshwater fisheries, full of Salmon, Walleye, Trout, Steelhead, Bass, and extra. Earlier than you attain to your rod, although, you’ll must get your palms on an Illinois fishing license.
On this information, we’ll begin with a basic overview of who wants a fishing license in Illinois. After, we’ll delve into the distinction between resident and non-resident licenses, prices, reductions and particular circumstances, and the place you should purchase your license.
Remember that Illinois is solely a freshwater fishing state, with no saltwater fisheries. So once we discuss getting a state fishing license, that is what we’re referring to!
Who wants a fishing license in Illinois?
Any angler over the age of 16 wants to hold a sound license when fishing, whether or not fishing alone or on a constitution. This is applicable to each residents and non-residents. Nonetheless, the price of your license differs relying on whether or not or not you’re a resident. There are additionally just a few conditions the place Illinois residents can fish license-free.
Earlier than we delve into the specifics, it’s essential to know there’s one group that may fish license-free in Illinois no matter residency. If you happen to’re a veteran who’s not less than 10% disabled or in receipt of a complete incapacity pension, simply deliver alongside your veteran’s incapacity card from the Secretary of State. No further incapacity allow or license is required.
Data for Residents
An Illinois resident is somebody who has lived in Illinois for not less than 30 days previous to their license utility. In addition they don’t declare residency or preserve a everlasting abode in another state.
Have your driver’s license or ID card on you when making use of for a license. This fashion, you may show your residency. If you happen to’re below the age of 21, it’s a must to be the kid of an Illinois resident who matches into the above class.
The next teams can fish license-free:
- Illinois residents who’ve a incapacity. You have to be in possession of a State disabled individual I.D card that reveals a Class 2 or Class 2A incapacity.
- Individuals on lively responsibility within the Armed Forces. If you happen to entered the service from Illinois and are an Illinois resident, you might fish with no license when on depart.
- Illinois residents who’re taking a baby below the age of 16 fishing. If you happen to’re not fishing, then no license is required. If you happen to’ll be serving to out, nonetheless, you’ll must buy a full-cost license.
- Illinois residents who’re homeowners or tenants of a property the place waters movement on or over it might fish license-free. This rule doesn’t apply to residents who stay in a subdivision with a lake. On this case, you’ll must buy a license.
The next teams are eligible for reduced-price fishing licenses:
- Illinois residents aged 65 and over are eligible for a reduced-price senior fishing license.
- Illinois residents aged 75 or older are eligible for a reduced-price tremendous senior fishing license. This prices solely $1 plus a .50 dealing with charge.
- Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who’re Illinois residents are eligible for half-price licenses after coming back from service or mobilization. To buy this license, contact the Springfield workplace on 217-782-6302.
Prices for Residents
There’s number of fishing licenses to select from if you happen to’re an Illinois resident. Whether or not you wish to fish for a day or go for a lifetime of angling, there are alternatives for everybody. Costs depend upon the size and sort of license you wish to buy.
|Resident License Sort||Price|
|Resident Fishing License (24 Hour)||$5.50|
|Resident Fishing License (Annual)||$15.00|
|Resident Fishing License (Lifetime)||$435.00|
|Resident Mixture Looking/Fishing License (Annual)||$765.00|
|Resident Senior Fishing License (Annual)||$7.75|
|Resident Senior Mixture Looking/Fishing License (Annual)||$13.50|
|Resident Tremendous Senior Fishing License (Annual)||$1.50|
|Resident Tremendous Senior Combo Looking and Fishing License (Annual)||$2.75|
|Resident Veteran Fishing License (Annual)||$7.75|
|Resident Veteran Mixture Looking/Fishing License (Annual)||$13.50|
Data for Non-Residents
If you happen to’re merely visiting Illinois, likelihood is you’ll should pay to your license except you’re below the age of 16. The one exception to this rule is if you happen to’re a veteran with a incapacity.
The primary distinction between resident and non-resident choices is that non-residents will not be eligible for lifetime Illinois fishing licenses. You additionally can not buy mixture fishing and looking licenses. You have to purchase these individually if you happen to want to partake in each actions.
Prices for Non-Residents
Costs for non-residents additionally differ relying on the size and sort of license you’d like to purchase:
|Non-Resident License Sort||Price|
|Non-Resident Fishing License (24 Hour)||$10.50|
|Non-Resident Fishing License (3 Day)||$13.50|
|Non-Resident Fishing License (Annual)||$31.50|
We’re virtually completed, we promise! By now, you most likely have a good suggestion of the kind of Illinois fishing license that’s good for you. Relying on the place you select to fish, you may additionally must buy stamps as a way to goal sure species. This rule applies to each residents and non-residents, with the costs remaining the identical.
Individuals who don’t want to purchase fishing licenses additionally don’t want to purchase a stamp, e.g. if you happen to’re an individual with a incapacity. If you happen to’re eligible for the tremendous senior license, you’ll be paying much less for the stamps, too. Right here’s a breakdown of the completely different stamps, in addition to the prices:
|Sort of Stamp||Price|
|Inland Trout Stamp||$6.50|
|Lake Michigan Salmon Stamp||$6.50|
|Resident Tremendous Senior Inland Trout Stamp||$0.50|
|Resident Tremendous Senior Inland Trout Stamp||$0.50|
|Resident Tremendous Senior Lake Michigan Salmon Stamp||$0.50|
The place to Purchase Your Illinois Fishing License
24-Hour, Multi-Day, and Annual Licenses
There’s quite a lot of methods for each residents and non-residents to purchase an Illinois fishing license, whether or not you favor to do it in individual or on-line. Merely use one of many choices beneath and prepare to go out onto the water:
- On-line. Buy your license from the consolation of your individual residence inside minutes. Ensure you have your related paperwork (normally your passport or ID card) handy, and also you’re good to go! You may both print out your license or save a duplicate to your cellphone.
- In individual. There’s an enormous number of locations that promote Illinois fishing licenses, together with Walmart and bait and sort out outlets. To seek out the closest authorized vendor to you, merely go to the License and Allow Distributors part of the Illinois DNR web site and choose your county or metropolis.
Wish to buy a lifetime fishing or mixture license? You must print and fill out a type from Illinois’s DNR web site. That is relevant for Illinois residents solely.
Return your accomplished type, in addition to a verify made out to the Illinois Division of Pure Sources and a duplicate of your driver’s license, to the next tackle:
Illinois DNR Lifetime License
One Pure Sources Manner
P.O. Field 19458
Springfield, Illinois 62794-9458
It might probably take as much as 90 days for the Workplace of Regulation Enforcement to assessment and settle for your utility. So be sure you issue on this time when making use of to your license!
What occurs if I lose my license?
If you happen to’re nervous about shedding your license, your greatest guess is to buy it on-line. This fashion, you don’t have to hold the bodily license with you. An digital copy downloaded in your cellphone will do the job.
And if you happen to do lose your license? Don’t fear. Getting a substitute is fairly stress-free. If you happen to bought your license on-line, you may reprint it at no further price right here. It’s also possible to reprint your license on-line if you happen to bought it from a vendor. The transaction will incur a small charge.
If you happen to purchased your license from a vendor and wish to substitute it in individual, you’ll should pay $3 per merchandise (the license itself and any further stamps). There may be additionally a small transaction charge.
Do I’ve to resume my license?
In a phrase: sure! It is because each Illinois fishing license expires on March 31 annually, even lifetime licenses. You may renew your license from March 1 annually. For instance, if you are going to buy your license on or after March 1, 2021, it’ll be legitimate till March 31, 2022.
We’ve tried to cowl every part, however if you happen to nonetheless have questions on getting your fishing license in Illinois, it’s greatest to get in contact along with your native DNR workplace. It’s also possible to depart us a remark beneath. Now it’s time to seize your license, rods, and reels, discover a information close to you, and begin fishing!